Who Will We Be? | Rome


Everyday on the way to school I pass a pyramid. At first I thought it was some replica just stuck in the middle of the street. Upon further research, I discovered it was actually a gift to Rome from Egypt. The pyramid became much cooler to me after learning that!

2004 Olympics were held in this stadium

This weekend I went to Athens, Greece and I absolutely loved it. There's a whole host of reasons why I would move there tomorrow but one of the most amazing things about it are the ruins. Rome has fantastic ruins as well but the ones in Greece are mostly pagan and therefore have another layer of history I barely know about but am fascinated with. The ruins were gorgeous and I could have looked and walked around them for hours. As I was walking on the Acropolis where the Parthenon is, I began to wonder...

View from the top

If this is what they left behind, what would we leave behind? Athens at one point was one of the most important places in the world. Arguably, America is one of the most important places in the world. So if everything were to be destroyed today, what would be significant enough for people in the future to visit? Do you think people would visit that glass office building, the run down school building, or the apartment complex down the street? Would laptops be in museums and cellphones be in a special exhibit?

1896 Olympic stadium

Moreover, what would they write in the history books about us? What would the paragraph say about our religion? Would we be viewed as greedy and cutthroat or loving and generous? I then began to think about if my name was on one of the walls in the museums what would it say underneath? Who would I be when everything was gone?


The Parthenon

In looking out over Athens from the Acropolis I wondered, who will we be and what will we leave behind. Most importantly, will it be significant?

Athens and Me

Comments