Finding Friendship | Rome


I remember sitting at my high school lunch table with my best friend Clarissa. I looked around at all of our classmates and everyone seemed to have a friend group. Clarissa and I had each other. That seems to have always been how I did friendship: never in a group, always with individuals.

First friend

My first friends here were these two girls who I asked to sit with in the cafeteria. From that moment on, we hung out and traveled together. I then met one of my closest friends here on the bus back from Ostia Antica where we laughed the whole time and bonded instantly. That same day I had the best lunch due to fantastic company. My two friends and I sat at a table of all guys. By the end of lunch we were crying laughing and having the greatest time. I knew I wouldn't be lonely here.

Florence from the Bell Tower

I live with a host family about 3 miles from my university. Although that isn't far, public transportation makes it about 30 minutes away. Unfortunately that makes it difficult to just go over to someone's apartment at any moment or get to the restaurant for dinner quickly. I would never trade living with my host family for anything but it has made it more difficult to be with all of my friends. With blessings come sacrifices.

The other day I was talking to my dad and telling him how some of my friends back home have sort of slipped away which has been difficult. He told me sometimes you just have to "let friendships be what they are." It seems very simple but he was so right. I'm the type of traveller that when I go away I still love to talk to my friends back home because they're such an integral part of my life and I want to grow with them even if we are hundreds of miles away. However, once you leave, you find out who cares enough to keep up with you and who you care about enough to keep up with.

Donuts of course 

I've found extreme happiness in two surprises with friends here. The first is that my friend and I Skype two hours at least every week. Last year we saw each other every other day and talked endlessly. Once he said he thought we might just be friends of convenience. Now, we're going to be living together next year. It's amazing what being away from someone shows you about your friendship. 

The second surprise is that Sims, probably my oldest and dearest friend, is in Rome with me. She took her Spring Break to come over here and experience life with me for a few days. We joked about it at Christmas but I never thought it would actually be a reality. She and my parents will be the only people from back home I get to share this experience with and I'm so grateful for that. 
Sims and me in Florence

Friendships while abroad are special. You only know each other for a semester but you're going through one of the most formative times of your life together. You travel, live, and do cool things together. Friendships abroad are also hard. Friendships back home are even harder to maintain and may fade away. Whether hard or easy, the friendships are always worth it.


You can't forget to look back at it

Comments