Becoming a Minimalist | Rome


I'm not one to brag, BUT I've gotten pretty good at packing in a book bag. It's kind of a weekend hobby really. Usually I would only use my backpack for books but in Italy it is also my suitcase. I lay out my clothes the night before and then in the morning I grab my toiletries, chargers and begin rolling and stuffing. I may knock a few people over in the bus with the size of my bag but hey I fit it in one bag so I think they can get over it.

Civita di Bagnoregio

Traveling these last few weekends out of a backpack has made me realize how little I truly need. I've known how little people can survive on for a long time. Whether I saw people in New Orleans living on the street or an entire family in Mexico under a metal scrap and wood beams, it was always clear people did not need much to survive.

Wine store in Orvieto

The thought of living with less was never very appealing (have you seen my closet or my boxes of shoes?) I knew I could live without many things but why would I do that if I didn't have to? Well, when you pack your entire life into two suitcases you have to learn to live with less very quickly.
I bet you've seen this coat before

I've picked up a few lessons from this minimalistic type of packing/living:

1. You don't actually need as much as you think you do, I promise.

2. You'll wear the same outfit again, and again, and one more time. But honestly who even notices or cares?

3. Being fashionable, having straight hair, and carrying a different bag are great but aren't necessary. What you'll remember is not those things but rather the experiences, people, food, and laughter of those times.

4. We hoard way too many things. It's time to start letting some of those things go.

5. Life without all the stuff forces you to focus on what is truly important.

6. There are few distractions and it is then up to you to decide what life means without all of the clutter in the way.

One of the gorgeous views

To many people it is probably shocking that I actually like packing a weekend worth of items in my backpack. Living with a little makes you care less about the small things and more about the big things. 7 weeks ago I didn't understand what that meant. Now, Italy has taught me to live simply.



Sorano

Comments