The Plans I Have For You | Rome


If you know me you know I have my day planned, my week planned, and even the next ten years planned. Despite my best efforts, sometimes those plans just don't work out as beautifully as I thought they would. While my world use to seem like it was crumbling when that happened, I have learned to accept it in anticipation for the better plans ahead.

The average costume at Carnevale

This weekend my friend and I went to Venice, Verona, and Vicenza. It was such a wonderful trip filled with amazing moments. Carnevale was happening in Venice so we were able to see some amazing costumes and the city truly alive. We arrived at my Aunt and Uncle's home in Vicenza around 11:30 on Thursday. My friend and I unpacked and went downstairs to sit and get WiFi to tell people (Mom) we were safe.

Hanging out in St. Mark's square

As I was talking to her I just paroozed through my email. I got an email from International Justice Mission. They send me biweekly emails usually but I have been expecting an email from them anytime informing me about an internship position this summer. IJM is an organization I truly admire and want nothing more than to be able to serve them and God in their mission- this summer and beyond.

"Do the liony one"

I looked at the email and it said they were moving forward with other candidates this summer. Immediately I began to cry and see all of my plans and dreams for the summer fade away. I called my mom and then my friend asked if I wanted to talk. I started telling her all about my relationship with IJM, previous rejection, and really my life story. We talked until 1:30 while we ate the most delicious risotto of our lives.

In that moment, she was my angel. She saved me from being sad, depressed, or letting that one email ruin my trip. She doesn't know it but God gave her to me for this trip (and the entirety of my study abroad experience) as a reminder of His presence. She is the community I so desperately prayed for.

The Verona Arena

That next morning I was resolved to apply again next summer and have the best weekend trip to date. I looked at my email and saw I had one with another organization I had been talking to about summer internship opportunities. The woman emailing me asked what did I want to get out of my summer so she could design the ideal internship for me. I just laughed.

My timing for almost everything is wrong. I would love for it to be right. However, I would much rather have My Father's timing because His is perfect.


How I loved Venice

 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.- Jeremiah 29:11

Comments

  1. I am so happy and proud of you Alexis! I miss your hilarious personality and strong faith which always kept me on track. I hope you are having the time of your life! Bye Felicia <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment