Passionate Love | Rome


I was in a cemetery which is an odd place to be when visiting another city. But this wasn't an ordinary cemetery. It was called a statue garden where each grave had some form of a statue on it. No one famous is buried there but the statues are what makes the gigantic cemetery worth seeing. One of the thousands of statues really struck me. It's the statue pictured below. What drew my attention was that the wife lived for ten years after her husband died. I just imagined what her life would be like after that loss and how agonizing that time apart must have been.

Grave in Milan

Everyone knows Italians are loud and passionate. But what you discover here is that they are passionate about each other. Their relationships appear to be more intense, in the best way possible. They're very unapologetic about their affection. They kiss you on the cheek when they know you. They stroll down the cobblestone street with linked arms. People are even sitting on each other's laps in the tiny bus seats. You can always find a couple kissing somewhere.


Carnevale in Milan

There are many different ways of showing someone you love them. Each person has their own style and flare. But the passion and intensity in Italy is what makes their relationships so beautiful. I watched these two old men walking down a street with their canes and hats on while linking arms and laughing. An older couple was on the bus and there was only one seat so he let his wife sit down while he held her hand the entire ride.

Eataly's pasta

Life is too short to hate anyone. However, it's not too short to love everyone. I've learned to take my relationships with people very seriously since being over here. Moreover, I've learned that I want to be strolling arm in arm, holding hands, and kissing those who matter to me every day of my life. After all, passionate love is the most beautiful type of love.


35 churches down, 65 to go

Comments

Post a Comment