Music In Italy | Rome


Since Pandora doesn't work in Italy, I've been listening to a lot less music than usual. I don't drive here -praise God- so there is never any radio playing and I've given up walking with headphones. The lack of music has allowed me to appreciate another type of music: the music of life.


So unbelievably happy

I never realized how significant the sounds were in your daily life or how comforting they can be. I have come to associate sounds here with joy. When I hear the bus screech to a stop I get excited because I get to go somewhere [on an adventure]. When I hear the doors in the elevator open I know I'm finally home. When I hear children screaming in the apartment right by my room I smile because that's just the beauty of living in an apartment. The noise on the streets makes me laugh at how impatient everyone is while driving. People are either yelling or just talking loudly to each other all the time but I still can't understand them so I'm not sure which.


A really low moment where the chocolate donut defeated me

The sounds of Rome are beautiful. They are filled with life and a palpable electricity. But there are other, less abrasive sounds, which make equally joyous songs. I found the music in Assisi to be my favorite music of all time.

My favorite church where St. Francis' chapel is

Assisi is a gorgeous city on top of a mountain. It's where St. Francis and St. Clare are from and where they both carried out their ministry. I went there simply because it was a highlighted place on my map. But there I fell in love. The town has been untouched since the 1400s when the economy declined. It is the perfect quaint Italian town that makes you want to bake, sing songs from Beauty and the Beast, and walk around with a dog while you wave at the neighbors.

Assisi

My friend and I stayed over night there and we went to the top of the city to find a view that night. We sat on a wall overlooking the town and the area below. In that moment the song of Asssis' life played very sweetly.

Selfie? (You know the accent I mean)

The wind blew in the olive trees. The cat purred on the ground behind us. Heels clicked against the cobble stone streets. Very faintly cars passed on the streets below. The lights danced in the darkness. The song was nothing like I had imagined and yet was everything I wanted.

I've been listening to the music of life since I've been here. The best part is, I get to be a part of the Roman song.

Comments