Blinding Discomfort | CR

“Are you rethinking this?”

“Yes.”

“Ha. No you’re not.”

Yeah I am…

I’ve been incredibly fortunate to be able to travel to many countries and experience various cultures. Though I’ve seen a lot and spent a good amount of time traveling without my parents or sister, I’ve never been so uncomfortable as I am right now.


Here are a few of the differences I’ve experienced so far.

  1. There is no AC!                                                                                                                Why some of the hottest places have no AC yet is beyond me but at least I have a fan in my room. You are in a constant state of sweat as it is 90+ degrees and over 85% humidity. But don’t worry, everyone smells and is dripping just as much as you are.
  2. I live with a Spanish speaking mom                                                                             Sonia is the sweetest woman imaginable. When she picked me up at 12:30 on Friday night she told me that she would try to be a good mom to me and that her house was very relaxed but it had a lot of love for me inside. Yeah, I melted. Oh and she’s taking me to do karaoke this week so how could you not like her? She only speaks Spanish, which is an adventure, but I can tell my Spanish is better already. Occasionally it’s a game of charades but it’s worth it.
  3. Toilets                                                                                                                                  If you know the Krcelic’s you know we are very open about our (um, bowels) so I just want to be open and honest here. I have to poop in an outhouse. Yes. Es verdad. Our inside toilet doesn’t flush and so we have a tub that we have to pour water into and flush it that way. Also you never and I mean NEVER put toilet paper down the toilet. It goes in the trashcan. I just want you to ruminate over this last paragraph.
  4. Hola…bebe…ay chica boñita                                                                                    Catcalls are a very, very real thing here. The men actually think it is flattering. News flash: it’s not. I feel very safe during the day and there’s a street that runs parallel to the beach which has plenty of people on it till 3 in the morning. But I do not feel safe being a gringa y una munjer. Luckily, I’ve made some guy friends who kindly walk me home and then have to help me open the gate because I’m incompetent with the key.


There are plenty of other differences including the fact that the houses touch, you hand wash your clothes, you can walk around with open containers, people just hang out outside like they have nothing better to do, pura vida time is very real, and coconuts are ridiculously cheap.


When I told my mom I was rethinking it of course I would never actually leave after a week and I would never leave at all unless serious conditions called for it. I’ve studied abroad before and so I thought this would be no big deal, that I would have a “leg up” on everyone else. That just simply wasn’t true. Europe is so incredibly different and has many of the conveniences of the US that make the adjustment smooth. It’s not always a piece of cake studying, living, or traveling abroad. Sometimes it’s dirty, smelly, sweaty, and lonely. But sometimes it’s fun, laughable, beautiful, and magical. When you push yourself to grow you’re bound to become uncomfortable. That discomfort can become a crutch or it can become the best experience of your life. It’s up to me to choose which.


Comments

Post a Comment