I'm doing what? | Mexico


Yes, I am in Cancun, Mexico and it is as humid as you would think it would be. If not more. I'm here for the entire month of June. What am I doing you ask? Oh you know, just soaking up the sun, swimming at the beach, and eating the freshest seafood. While that is a bit of a hyperbole, I thought I would answer everyone's questions about what I am actually doing. These are the main questions I have been asked.
Yes, this is my backyard...

1. What are you doing in Cancun?
I am interning at a ministry called Back2Back. We serve an orphanage, a government run shelter for children, three widows, a community, and an "apartment" complex. During my internship, I am simply God's hands and feet. I serve however I am called to do. I work from 7:30 am till 9:00 pm. My role is to be in charge of kitchen and food so I have to help prepare, stock, and shop for roughly 20-25 people every week. Besides that, I work around our group home, serve the various ministries I mentioned, and help people feel love that maybe haven't since they were born.

2. What is Back2Back?
It is a Christian ministry started by Todd and Beth Guckenberger in 1997. It began in Monterrey, Mexico and has 5 other sites (Cancun, Mazatlan, Haiti, India, Nigeria). Each site serves different needs in the community. In Cancun we focus on orphans, orphan prevention, and widows. Our goal is not to come in and run these other ministries but simply to go back to back (get the name now?) with them to carry their burdens and provide things they themselves wouldn't be able to do. I encourage you to check out back2back.org to find out more about sponsorship programs and mission trips.
Having a birthday party for orphan girls.

3. Why/how did you choose to do this?
My father gave me a book called Reckless Faith 5 years ago. It changed my life because it allowed me to see that my life could consist of being a missionary, a mom, a wife, a friend, and so much more. I had to give up nothing except my control to God and let His plan unfold. So I decided to do that this summer. I knew one day I wanted to work for that author. Guess who it was? Beth Guckenberger! Since I want to run nonprofits, getting an internship at one seemed like a good step. After much deliberation, all I could feel was God whispering, "You need to be at an orphanage." There was no better fit than this one. I applied, got the job, and now I'm here. Praise to God that He has been setting a path for this summer for a very long time.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support, prayers, and encouragement. You are all in my heart and I am praying for all of those back home. If you have more questions feel free to ask me. I am always happy to answer!

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.  James 1:27

With love, for love, in love
Alexis


Comments

  1. Love it! So glad you are getting to share your BIG heart with the groups there as well as share with all of us here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment